Re: Alloy Wheels

Damo asked about 17" alloy wheels for his Fastback.  If my
calculations are right the diameter of our stock 165r15
wheels is 26 inches.  A 225/50r17 has a diameter if 26.08
inches.  Speedo and gearing would be right on.  The problem
is that the stock tire is only 6.5 inches wide at maximum,
while the 225/50r17 is 8.78 inches wide.  I don't think
that our wheel wells could handle that extra 2.28 inches
without rubbing or some serious modification to the wheel
well inners.  There are a large number of 205/50r17 tires
available, but the diameter is only 25.3 inches and the
width is still 8 inches.  In all cases, you would have to
get the offset of the wheels right.

You might check out the following sites:

http://www.tirerack.com/

and

http://www.tires.com/

Both are good sites with lots of tire tech and decent
search engines for tires and wheels, plus you can order
from them both.

--
John Jaranson
Research Engineer