Re: Questions: Engine, Carb, and Parts computer

You can get quality parts most anywhere if you're looking for stock.
Mail-order, Gene Berg has a good rep, also higher prices, supposed to
be pick of the litter.  If you read the factory manual, you aren't
supposed to do any cylinder honing, not much material there. If it's
worn enough to worry about new rings, it's worn enough to scrap and
replace.  When you get a complete set, you're pretty much assured of
getting a matched set of parts.  Otherwise, you're going to spend more
than that $90 on machine shop time and screwing around getting a
proper ring fit.  All my PC sets have been Mahle-made, just because
that's what the local guy sold.  Have been pretty good quality.  For
bigger than stock, you'll have to inquire of the list, I don't deal
with that stuff.  If this is your first engine, get all the manuals
you can get hold of, particularly Gene Berg's  catalog and tech
writings.

I never had much luck with VW OEM parts people.  Most didn't know what
a type 3 was and couldn't care less.  Most of what I wanted, they said
was out of stock and weren't really motivated to go look for it.
After a few trips, I got the message.  Have never set foot in a
dealership since.