cleaning / polishing AL wheels?

	I got some aluminum rims that I'm thinking of putting on the '69
for fun, but they're a bit stained and/or corroded.  I spent about a
quareter of an hour just trying to clean up about two square inches with
steel wool!  Yikes!  I'm not looking to get them polished to a mirror
finish at this point, but just to make them look *clean*.  What do people
recommend?  Chemical?  Mechanical (elbow grease)?  Any other idease?

Thanks!

-Greg
'69 & '71 Squarebacks
'63 Beetle