Re: Dual Carbeurators

Stan Schaefer wrote:
> Next, if you do put a cover over those carbs, they'll be
> sucking hot air off the engine, definitely not good for engine life.
> All that air ducting in the rear is there for a reason. (SNIP)
> Having never done this, or converted to carbs, I don't really know
> what's involved except I've never seen a '71 with factory carbs in a
> scrapyard.  Earlier ones, yes.  Original parts may be hard to come by.
> There's a few carb kits out there that purport to fit under the TIII
> hatch, you might want to inquire of the group as to what seems to work
> best.  Even then, I think they still suck air from around the engine,
> not from the ducts.
Stan, my '73 came with the factory 32 PDSIT's (PSDIT's?) on dual port
manifolds. It had the stock oil bath air cleaner and associated parts.
In a momentarily mad search for performance, I switched over to 34 ICT
Webers and have been running them for 10 years. Very happy with
performance and they are probably better suited to the present engine
configuration. I have always been suspect of the engine sucking in hot
air down the carbs, and there was a time when a cracked bellows almost
grounded me with a very nasty vapor lock that took at least 20 minutes
at a time to release. A new bellows, a healthy bath for the engine, and
resetting the timing seemed to have cured that. I have tried to come up
with a way to set the original oil bath on the 34's, they fit on top but
as you all might know, 34's dont have any provision for attaching any
air cleaner, and the hex bar linkage makes it impossible to fit. I could
either remount the linkage about 1" south on the carbs to clear the oil
bath, weld in a tunnel on the oil bath for the linkage to fit through,
or attempt to redo the linkage using old motorcycle thottle cables. Any
of these will be trial and error, I'll let you all know what the outcome
is.
David Walters
'73 1600 L Notchback
S. FL, USA