Re: Dual Carburetors

> I recently bought a 1971 squareback.  The previous owner of 6 years was a
> VW mechanic, as was his father for 20 years before that.  So he did a fair
> amount of work on the engine--it was recently rebuilt (he didn't give me a
> mileage figure--about two years ago), and has dual Weber carbs installed.
> To fit the carbs in, he cut a hole in the top of the engine cover, so they
> stick out into the engine.  When I bought it, I didn't know enough to
> realize this wasn't how it was supposed to be--the previous owner told me I
> should be able to buy the "missing" engine cover piece from Rocky Mountain
> for $10-20...  He said he was using an upside-down glass mixing bowl until
> it broke.

Welcome to the list Meghan.  You might be interested to know that all
the 71 type 3s sold in the US were fuel injected.  So yours must have
originally come from Europe, or possibly Canada, I'm not sure if the
single carb was available there.

The dual carb arrangement sticking up throught the floor of a
squareback pretty much ruins the utility of the car, but it is
a pretty big job to restore it to stock.  Probably worthwhile,
though, or restore it to the OEM pre 68 dual carb version that fit
correctly.  You could try to retrofit the FI, but that would require
even more work.

I'm not TOO far away if you want some help.

Jim