Re: ECU Bug

> Some of the "older" list members may remember a thread about a "bug" in the
> early ECU in FI engines, I think this even documented somewhere.

>From your description, I think this is in the 70-73 "C,"  "D" and "E"
brains where the alternating contacts in the throttle switch wear out
until you can get simutaneous contact of, and hence a short between,
the two contacts in the throttle valve switch.  68-9 cars don't have
these contacts, or the problem.

> The anomaly observed is as follows: when the car is coasting and when the
> throttle is in a particular position, the ECU will shut-off all the
> injectors until the throttle is depressed or released. The symtom is that
> the engine will drop to idle although the driver will have the gas pedal
> depressed.

The test for  this is to disconnect the throttle valve switch
connector and see if this particular problem goes away (even though
the car may not accelerate well.)  The fix is to replace the throttle
valve switch.

Jim