Re: Sticky Door Hinges

On 25 Jun 98 at 12:25, type3@vwtype3.org wrote:

> I need ideas on how to fix rusty hinge pins on my '69. I've been spraying
> them with WD 40 for years, and it's time to do something about it. The top
> hinge looks especially hard to press out. I'm ready to get out the welder
> to make a screw action press tool, but it would be great if anyone has a
> better idea.

Such a tool might be a really good idea.  This is a big problem with
all these cars.

I think one of the manuals I have says that one of the hinge pins
must b pushed out up and the other down.  I have never doen this,
however.  Does anyone have any experience?

Don't bother with WD40 or LPS-1.  They don't have enough longevity to
do any real good.  You might try prying out the plastic cap in the
top of the hinge and filling the cup that is revealed with a good
quality of light oil.  If this eventually penetrates, follow up with
a heavier oil to prevent more rusting.

Jim