Re: Dual Carbeurators

Well Meghan, 1st of all, this car was originally fuel injected, not
carbureted. Depending on who you converse with on this list, the fact that
it was converted to carburetors can be good or bad.

I'm on the fuel injected side. I have a 71 squareback too, and I would
suggest that you locate missing fuel injection parts and restore your car to
its fuel injected glory. If you did this, you wouldn't have those ugly
things sticking up in your cargo area at all. Also, the fuel injected 1600
engine, IMHO, is superior engine to a carbureted 1600.

If you do keep the carb setup, I don't think the holes in the engine cover
will affect your cooling. The engine draws it cooling air from the louvers
in the rear quarter panels, pulls it in though the rubber bellows in the
front of the engine, travels over the oil cooler, cylinders and heads and
out the bottom. The holes would make the interior of your car pretty noisy
and warmer than normal though.

If you stiill have access to the (so called) mechanic that sold you the car,
he may have the original fuel injection parts or some of the people on this
list may be willing to sell you some. Also, if you did this, you would need
to make sure that you have the stock heads, cylinders and pistions as the
fuel injection will not work properly if you have oversized ones.

Steve B.