getting the point(s)

I am having trouble gauging the proper gap for the points on my car. I
know they are set at .016, but what is the feeler gauge supposed to
'feel' like? When adjusting valves, there should be a slight 'drag'. Is
the same true for points. Earlier last week I asked about the color of
the spark from the coil. I replaced the coil with a spare I had, but
yesterday experienced the same problem. What is happening, is exactly
what Toby explained to his dad. I think the coil is breaking down after
getting hot. I can drive around town, either in traffic or on the
highway. After stopping & turning off the engine & going into a shop here
& there several times is when it starts to run rough. ie not much power
at high RPMs(like a governor) & back-firing & sputtering at low RPMs.
Could the points be maladjusted or could the coil be breaking down again?
TIA
Tom
'68 FB (Thumper)
'70 Bug

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]