RE: Motors

Thanks for the compliment, it's nice to have volks who can appreciate the
work
involved, be it restoration or custom :)

Okay, going with the simple, have you replaced the fuel filter?  Also, if
it's
located in the engine compartment you may want to relocate it to under the
fuel
tank -- makes for a messy change but a fuel petcock can be installed in
front of
the filter.

The Porsche 914 had vapor lock problems because the fuel pump was located in
the
(hot) engine compartment.  Porsche solved the problem by placing the fuel
pump
up front with the fuel tank and this is where the stock T3 fuel pump is as
well
(FI models).  So, if you have an electric pump make sure it's NOT in the
engine
compartment but up front, hopefully in an air stream and not too close to
the
ground where heat can radiate on it.

Oh oh oh!  I just remembered a story my Dad told me.  He had the same
problem
with a car of his way back when.  Turned out to be the coil.  Here's what
happens:  When cold everything in the coil is nice and tight.  As it heats
up
from use and engine heat everything expands.  Now, if there is a broken wire
or
fractured connection in the coil then when the part expands it separates and
causes and open circuit -- sputter -- and everything dies because there's no
electricity flowin'.  Once things cool down a bit the connection is made and
everything seems hunky-dory (the car works like it's supposed to).  Of
course,
until the coil gets hot again.  Anyway, after my Dad changed coils the
problem
never happened again.  So, if you have a spare coil that you know is good
try
swapping them.
   Toby Erkson
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member