RE: attn universal case users

> Jim, I have to disagree with you on this point.  I have a T1 dipstick in my
> [universal case] engine right now.  It's there to keep oil vapor and such
> from
> spewing out (things get messy at 5000rpm!).  Granted, it takes long skinny
> fingers like mine to get it out but it does fit without getting in the way
> of anything.

Interesting.  The only one I have delt with was a T3 case that a
california firm had converted to T1 by adding the dipstick tube, etc.
I assumed that they had put it in the right place, but I didn't use
it because it was going into a T3.  I had to braze a bolt into the
end to block it off, and then file off one side of the bolt head to
get the fan housing to fit.

You're absolutely right about needing to block it off some way, but
I'm really surprised that the dipstick will fit.  Do you suppose
that it is possible that vw repositioned the tube in the unibersal
cases so this would be possible?

Jim.