RE: Sparky

Color?  Who uses color?!  Grab the coil lead in your left hand and stick
your
right index finger in the distributor hole where it would normally plug in.
Have a friend start the car.  Use the below table to determine coil
strength.
1) Engine continues to run and you are frozen in place -
    After-market coil:  Excellent condition, not defective.
    Stock coil:  Defective resistor, replace coil.  Coil and you will
                 burn out soon.

2) Engine continues to run and you can dance and scream -
    After-market coil:  Excellent condition, you are defective.
    Stock coil:  As #1 above.

3) Engine dies -
    You are throw X number of feet from rear of vehicle:
        X   Coil condition
      ---  --------------
       >6  Good
      4-5  Good, but may be getting old (or you need to go on a diet)
      2-3  Weak, needs to be replaced soon
       <1  Bad, replace immediately, will not keep car running
        0  Dead, replace immediately (or you're just sadistic)

This method does take some getting used to but is very accurate and great
for
those who may be color blind.  I first used this test when I sat on a
Briggs-Stratton lawn mower engine when a friend started it up.  The ignition
system was "Good".

   Toby "a.k.a. 'The Idiot Bentley' " Erkson
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member