exhaust oiling

> > A buddy of mine's dad does metal sculpture, and he turned me on to a
> > really good treatment to keep steel for rusting.  He uses an actual
> > store-bought product, but showed me that wiping a HOT exhaust (run the
> > engine for 15 minutes or so) with some WD-40 or oil will cause the
metal
> > to turn black, and ultimately return to a "bare" metal appearance.
This
> > is best done on either an exhaust that is already rusted - after
> > cleaning it up with sandpaper or Scotch-Brite pads, or on a bare metal
> > exhaust.  Obviously, be careful putting the stuff on the hot exhaust.
> > When my zooper beetle, Barney, had it's valve cover sealing issues, oil
> > dumped all over the single quiet pack muffler, and now it looks like
new
> > on one end, and rusted at the collector end, so I know it works with
> > regular oil too.
> >
> > Jake Kooser

Ahh I was looking at my Heater boxes and where it got oil on it there is no
rust but up near where it bolts on to the heads there is light rust.

So you could even before putting on your exhaust throw it into the oven at
say 200 and heat it up then oil it. I saw people do this to decorative metal
to help it from collecting dust( You gotta start watching Martha Stewart I
get alot of ideas from that show).

So how often does his Dad or did his dad repeat the process????????

James