Re: 66 sqbk parts FS

On 16 Jun 98 at 13:38, type3@vwtype3.org wrote:

> Does anyone know if the rear hatch light Jim mentioned in his original post
> will fit a 69 square?  Someone mentioned that it wouldn't work for cars
> later than 65, but I thought he/she meant that it wasn't correct for the
> year after 65.  Any ideas?

I got a more detailed reply that stated that not only was the fit not
right, but that there was no place to screw in certain necessary
mounting screws.

I have pasted part of that reply in here.  I'm glad I saved it.

 * Can you tell me exactly what was different that the early hinge
 cover * would not fit your 67.  I had always assumed it would fit at
 least * thru 69.

So did I.  The cover fits perfectly where the hinges meet it, and
there is enough room on each side to screw the cover in place,
however, it is a different shape (for some dumb reason) when it comes
to the rear side (facing the rear hood).  It ends up about 4cm away
from the area where you could conceivably get screws through to mount
it.  I was a little dumbfounded by this.  No amount of bending,
hammering or what have you, would make any difference either.

Another possible problem is the side of it which faces forward; there
are no places under the headliner for the screws to attach to.  It
would basically be like screwing screws through the roof!  I planned
to cut my headliner slighly and super glue in some pre-made attachment
points for the screws - my headliner would not suffer any further
anyway.  It was pointless in the end because there was no way that it
fit right in the first place.

This is just another reason to keep most of these conversations on
the list.  This one mistake was probably my fault.  We could all have
benefited from this.

Jim