Running a mechanical fuel pump dry

In the quest to clean up the viewing area of my engine (and give me
something to
experiment with) I want to replace the mechanical fuel pump with an electric
one.  I would like to use the electric one but keep the mechanical one
installed
just in case (no hoses connected) until I'm happy with the electric pump.  I
figure I would put a stocking or similar filter on the in/out tubes of the
mechanical pump to keep stuff out but it would be running it dry otherwise
(no
fuel being pumped).  Is this a bad thing to do or does the fuel act to
cool/lubricate/whatever the mechanical pump?

I DON'T need advice on pump location, safety switches, pressure regulation,
and
my car is far from stock!  I have a pre-pump filter that is HUGE, can handle
up
to 70 psi, filters particles down to two microns and is a water separator so
that base is covered as well.  If anyone has had good experience with any
particular electric fuel pump you can let me know, though.
   Toby Erkson
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member