Notch Continues...

I drove my Notch for the first time yesterday!
I went to VW Classic in it.
Made the 196 mile round trip okay.
On climbing hills I get popping back
through the carbs.
I don't know if it is timing or Vacuum advance
or what it is.  Only happens under load.
More than half throttle up hill.
Any Ideas?
Irvine was great!  22 Notchbacks showed up.
I found an "S" for my license light.
I still can't find the rubber seal for the light housing.
I still am looking for mud flaps and lower rocker moulding
clips.  Found a couple at the show, I didn't want to pay $2.00 each.
How do you adjust valves or set timing on a type 3?
I know type 1 and 2 real well.
I don't know where the marks on the pulley are.
Unless I can learn, I am thinking of putting a type 1 engine in my notch.
I am up and going though...

Chris in Sandy Eggo...  NONA