Re: Testing a used engine...

> Tomorrow I'll be looking at a type III engine I hope to obtain for my 69 FI
> squareback.  The engine, which has the stock FI system for the 69 type III,
> has around 70,000 miles on it, but seems to rev and idle well.  Basically I
> want to know what I can do, both with the engine in the car and once I have
> it out, to determine how much life it might have remaining. I came up with
> a few ideas, listed below, but welcome other suggestions from the list:

> Compression test (engine in)
> End play test (engine out)

You can get a rough idea of end play with the engine in also.  Just
look at the motion in the pulley.  It's the same end play, just
harder to measure accurately, but it will easily weed out an engine
with 2mm of end play.

> Oil pressure test (engine in)(though I don't have a gauge to check this)
>
> What else can I do?

I like to give them a free valve adjustment and an oil change just to
see if anything strange pops up.

Jim