dipstick accuracy

Anyone else have a poorly calibrated dipstick?

ON all of my type3's when I put in the 2.5Qt's of oil after having the strainer off (completely empty) the level falls between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark depending on the car.  I even ran through the calibration procedure involving the the
filler neck in the Bentley manuel but the full mark is still only half way up.

Does everyone just fill it to the full mark anyway or have others scratched in a new fill line on the stick??

Just a little 15 year old annoyance of mine...

Keith
parkkj@crd.ge.com