RE: A different 5 speed...?

Tire height = 23.375"
Ring & Pinion = 4.125 (stock)
1st = 3.800 (stock)
2nd = 2.058 (stock)
3rd = 1.480 (I think 1.421 would be better)
4th = 1.040
5th = 0.821 (Bus overdrive)

Overall, I'm just a smidge overgeared in 5th, but it's very small and I know
it.
 Where the stock overdrive (in 4th) is 80mph my overdrive (in 5th) is
82.2mph.
Remember volks, all VWs had an overdrive which was 4th gear!  Anything less
than
1:1 ratio is overdrive.

The late model Type III does not have frame horns like the Type I so we had
"make" ours using 3/16" U-channel steel welded to the torsion housing.  The
Berg
tranny mount is BEEFY, but designed for a Type I frame.  I will be crawling
under her this week to take more pictures and I'll get them posted to the
web.

I just finished talking with Clyde Berg and found out I have been shifting
into
5th wrong.  I've been doing it in the standard 5-speed way like most modern
cars
(I pointed out to Clyde that the instructions were rather lacking and he
confirmed).  This is the proper shift pattern (we'll see how it works
tonight
when I go home...) --

       1  3
       \   \
       R  2   4--\

To get into Reverse or 5th you have to push the thumb button to disengage
the
lock-out.  Looks like a small shift pattern? -- it is!
   Toby "on the road again" Erkson
   '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member