RE: A different 5 speed...?

With an adapter from Kennedy Engineering Products (KEP) you could perform
the
mount.  However, the air cooled engine is dependant upon engine rpm for
proper
cooling so you can't indiscriminately put any gearing you want in the tranny
and
expect the engine to stay cool.  Gearing for the Type III is more crucial
than
the upright engines as we cannot change our pulley diameters to help
compensate.

My recommendation is to follow the advice of Gene Berg Ent. and myself
(since I
learned the hard way...) and don't mess with the gearing except to keep it
within stock parameters.
   Toby Erkson
   '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member