Re: front end squeals

>>A few weeks ago I was having some brake problems.
>>Whenever I would brake while going downhill at medium
>>to high speeds my brake pedal would go almost to the
>>floor. The brake would eventually catch but not
>>before I saw my life flashing before my eyes. At
>>other times they worked fine. I had the brakes
>>adjusted and new pads put on. (The rotors are in
>>great shape so they were not re-machined) However, I
>>now have an almost constant squealing sound coming
>>from the front end. I have been told that this is
>>normal because the pads are harder than the originals
>>and need some time to "fit" into the rotors but it's
>>been two weeks and this seems a little odd to me. The
>>bearings are fine and I can't figure out what else it
>>could be. Sometimes the noise stops when I turn left,
>>other times I can't hear it at all.
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Jess
>>'72 Squareback

Jess,  From my experience this is a common problem.
If brakes squeal when braking it is usually caused by
semi metallic pads.  They cheaper pads wear faster but aren't noisy.
Metal on metal makes a scrunchy sound not squeal.
I you have squeal all the time I would check the rubber
brake lines from the caliper to the hard lines that then go to your master
cylinder.
You need these flexible lines to be able to steer the car.  If they were
metal they would
break when you turned the wheel.  The rubber lines after time get gummy inside
from the brake fluid.  When they are real bad the brake fluid won't return
to the master cylinder.
You push the brakes with your foot.  The calipers don't have enough force
to push the fluid back so the brakes stay on.  If your brakes are touching
all the time it is because the fluid isn't returning.
This slight touching causes friction, which makes heat and boils the fluid
on downhills.
This is what makes your brakes fade.
You need to keep them from touching at all until you push the pedal.
The rubber hoses usually fix this problem.
The sound going away on left turns sounds like a crimped hose not letting
the fluid out.
If this is true the noise should not return until the next time you push
the brake pedal.

Chris Ward in San Diego...