front end squeals

A few weeks ago I was having some brake problems.
Whenever I would brake while going downhill at medium
to high speeds my brake pedal would go almost to the
floor. The brake would eventually catch but not
before I saw my life flashing before my eyes. At
other times they worked fine. I had the brakes
adjusted and new pads put on. (The rotors are in
great shape so they were not re-machined) However, I
now have an almost constant squealing sound coming
from the front end. I have been told that this is
normal because the pads are harder than the originals
and need some time to "fit" into the rotors but it's
been two weeks and this seems a little odd to me. The
bearings are fine and I can't figure out what else it
could be. Sometimes the noise stops when I turn left,
other times I can't hear it at all.
Any ideas?

Jess
'72 Squareback