red light

I started my car the other day to find out the red ligh was on after the car
was at normal idle. I check cables etc and everything was in good order.
With no ckues I talk to a frien who told me to try to tap (gently) the
generator and see. I did that and the red light went off. I told
myself..."hmmm, not bad". Well, two days later it happens again. Again I tap
the generator and light went back to normal. Armature look clean and shinyt,
brushes stil have plenty of meat on thme. What might be wrong with my
generator...is it on its last lap??  thanks

Luis