Portland Int'l Raceway VW Show & Service Times Manuals

Hey Volks!
Well, I attended the show at PIR and raced my baby.  The day was a
scorcher
(really, really hot) for Portland.  I dragged my baby for three runs --
would've
been just two but the lady reset the timing computer before I finished
so I
didn't get any results on the first run.  My results for the 1/4-mile
with the
new tranny were WORST than with my previous tranny: 18.5-sec @ 71-mph :(
Soooo,
just to re-enforce what I already know, gearing really makes a
difference in
acceleration -- one cannot measure a car strictly by horsepower!  One of
the
guys in my VW club video taped me so I can't wait to get a copy.  My
runs may
not have been impressive but my burnouts were!  :)

There were two Notches and my Square at the show (I raced first, then
showed).
They won 1st and 2nd.  Sigh.  However, I scored in the swap meet!  I got
a huge
dealership poster (roughly 3'x4') as well as a late, and early, official
VW
Service Time manuals 8)  They contain exploded view diagrams (like the
Parts
List) and the time, in minutes, it takes to complete the task.  They
*also*
contain diagrams and times for installing accessories like luggage
racks, AIR
CONDITIONERS (yippee!), the South Wind Heater, trailer hitch, I even saw
sketch of the tissue box!  Naturally, in my morning haste to let y'all
know what
I scored on I forgot to bring them with me -- can we all say "DOH!"  I
talked
more with swap people than car owners.  I did give one Square owner our
web
address so hopefully he'll sign up.  I also met Rob (selling some of his
leftover T3 parts) and the Parker's (we're gonna get that Square showin'
one of
these days ;)

Okay, I forgot George's number (it's at home, "DOH!") but he's the dude
that I
got my Service Times manuals from.  He has them for the other three
types (yes,
that includes the Type IV) and he has some Parts List manuals, including
ONE
TYPE III!  I really, really wanted to buy it but since I have one I
figured I
shouldn't be a total pig so I told him I'd let you volks know.  He's
selling it
for $65 (mine was $50) and it is in very good condition.  Like I said,
it was so
nice I wanted it.  I will post his number, probably on my web page so
it's a
little more fair for getting it, and I'll let y'all know when I do.  You
will
need to contact him, not me, I'm just letting everyone know one is
available,
okay?

Bob Helfer, of Classic Restorations in Oregon, is the one who sold me
the
poster.  He has one big one, a 3'x4', left ("The World's Largest Sedan")
and a
really cute one that's 1'x3' with a picture of a Fastback with a big,
bold
title, "For Those Who Can't Stand the Sight of Bugs".  I didn't have $5
so I
couldn't buy it.  Anyway, he only has the two posters, not a supply of
them just
literally the two posters, and they are $5.00 US each.  Sizes are
estimated.
Bob's number is (541) 317-8579.

   Toby "sunburned, disappointed, broke but happy" Erkson
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member