Trigger contacts cleaning?

Peace to all;
In the persuit of getting my engine to run smooth again, I have arrived at
this next logical step: Cleaning the trigger contacts, something I hoped to
avoid because I dunno nothing about it and Bently and Muir dont say a whole
lot about it either. So my question is; do I have to take the dist. out to get
at'em ?....and when I finally get the trigger contacts out what exactly do I
have to clean? are they more or less like the points? is WD40 ok for cleaning,
or should I use alkohol ?. I am kinda lost so any hints will be deeply
appreciated. TIA
HB
70 sq