Re: Mis-aligned shift rod?

MeghanK=> there seem to be problems with shifting into the right gears.

Assuming your shift rod is properly connected to the transaxle (check),
it's possible that your shifter needs adjusting. If you pull up the
boot, you'll find two bolts holding down the shift plate and shifter
assembly. You can loosen these (don't remove them unless you need to
grease the assembly or replace the rod bushing) and move the shift plate
and/or the assembly. I don't know how to do this other than by feel:
adjust, tighten, test, repeat until it works right.

=> even when I had the clutch pedal all the way down, I still couldn't
=> shift down until I was in the right speed range ... Is this a sign of
=> a loose clutch cable?

How much free play do you have on the pedal?

=> My accelerator pedal cable fell off three times on the way home.
=> It seems to be wound very tightly--

Which end falls off? Not sure what you mean by "wound."

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 KGhia 1600