RE: Oil check and shifting gears.

My comments below.
   Toby Erkson
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member

I recommend first thing in the morning on level ground.  If you warm it
up then
you're putting some of the oil into the engine and other cavities thus
your
reading will be a tad less.  If you check the oil after the engine has
been
running then wait 10-15 minutes before checking the level -- never check
the oil
directly after stopping the engine like what they want to do at some gas
stations!!!

>Question 2: As I have no tach and don't yet trust my hearing
>to be a good gauge, what's some good speed's I can use as a rule of
thumb
>for what gear I should be in.
>I have a 72  Squareback with dual (unfortunately, Weber) carbs.

The reason Muir says you could drive so slow in a high gear is probably
because
he's talking about a FI engine -- they can do that, a carbed engine is
different!  I say trust your hearing over your friend's hearing.  You
don't want
to lug the engine and it's your car any way.  Unless, of course, your
friend is
a real knowledgeable VW fiend and you trust him/her without question
(which
sounds like they aren't and you don't).

>I know these are the questions of a paranoid nervous obsessive
>compulsive, but I hate the idea that I might be doing anything bad for
the
>car, and I'd like to be certain I can tell my friend "HEY, DAMMIT,
YOU'RE
>LUGGING THE ENGINE!" and know that I'm probably right.
>
>Any advice?

Stay paranoid nervous obsessive compulsive and your car will last
longer! :)  As
for engine braking it's not the gears that will wear out so much as the
synchros
when you shift gears.  But I've found the VW tranny to be a tough little
bugger
and it's nothing you should worry about.