RE: Maaco paint ?'s

To Jake:  Wow, sorry to hear about the scam that dude was playing.  I hope
you
can get your ride back together.  Or get away with fire-bombing his house.
Hey,
you could make an anonymous phone call to the police saying he's running a
meth
lab in his house :)

Others:  Well, after all the body work done to my baby and living with a
Battleship Grey car for so long I decided to get her painted.  I established
my
goals:  A "candy coating" to protect the body from water; looks decent from
20'
or further; a color that works with the car, and; nothing expensive since
the
paint job is temporary.  Maaco.  They were having a 1/2-off sale and I got
their
$500 job for $250.  I removed my ragtop, windshield wipers (painted orange
separately) and lighting.  This made prep for them easier and allowed the
paint
to overspray into the holes and pockets for a "wrap-around" paint job.  All
they
had to do was light sanding, mask off the glass and hole in the roof, and
squirt
away!

For $250 it turned out okay.  You get what you pay for so I wasn't expecting
much but she does look much better, as long as you are standing 10' or
further
away :)  I stayed with the stock Bright Orange since my interior is already
that
color -- they matched the color using the paint on the top, inside of my
door.
If you remove your lights remember to tape the metal connectors so paint
won't
get on them, label them so you know where to reconnect them and tuck them
out of
the way or wrapped in a sandwich baggie to keep paint from covering your
labels.

Anything extra you do to help the prep work will help them.  I was without
my
car for three days.  Though they pop it in an oven to help cure the paint I
recommend you still be VERY careful around the paint for at least a week so
it
will fully harden.

   Toby Erkson
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member