Re: Backfire

JimA=> the exhaust is under postiive pressure and will almost never draw
=> air INTO itself.

These objections make a lot of sense to me, and the common explanation
for exhaust pops has never satisfied me. I wonder what you (or anyone
else here) think *does* cause this phenomenon.

In fact, I wonder every time I leave my house in my Bus with the exhaust
leak. I live on a steep hill, so as soon as I leave the drive I'm
engine-braking in first. The exhaust assembly isn't hot enough at that
point to cause anything to detonate. It reliably gives me a rapid
popping until I put on some load at the bottom of the hill. I don't like
it.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ