Petronix Answer

Okay,  10cents worth...I have run and will continue to run pertronix in
all my VWs.  My first experience was as follows.   009 with points and a
heck of a lot of high way driving at 90+ degrees.  Always had minor
point float and the timing would move 1-1.5 degrees after enough float.
Switched to the pertronix unit to combat cold starts in the 0-5 degree
Idaho mornings and the truck always started.  I gained no horsepower,
and no fuel economy. But at 15,000 miles, timing had not moved and I
didn't have to replace the points or condenser.

The kicker...Engine fire!!!! The brass fuel line fitting to the solex
carb let loose.  Dumped fuel all over the left side of the motor.  Had
to replace all wiring in the compartment along with the coil, carb and
plugs.  Put new wires on the pertronix unit, ($50 bucks after all), and
it is still running in the truck.  Also, all you have to do is keep the
points and condenser that you replaced in your roadside kit, and should
the unit fail, remove it and put in the points.

Brian Fye
64 Notch auto- it saw the light of day yesterday
67 Square-finally a driver
67 Square- A shell of its former self