Re: Backfire

On 17 Jul 98 at 18:22, type3@vwtype3.org wrote:

> I'm trying to stop my 70 FB from backfiring. I replaced the gasket that goes
> from the
> damper pipe to the muffler and it still backfires. I'm going to crawl under it
> tomorow and find the leak but where else can I check?

Popular opinion to the contrary, I don't believe backfires have
anything to do with exhaust system leaks.  If your engine is running
correctly there should be very little unburned gasoline expelled
from the engine into the exhaust system, let alone enough to burn or
explode.  If there is, you have a problem in your engine; look
there.

You can get excess gasoling accumulating in the exhaust system if the
engine is running WAY too rich, or lean enough that the mixture
doesn't burn in the combustion chamber.  Or from bad timing or valve
leaks.

Jim