Re: Removing air intake fan

Hope you're not trying to do this in the car.  I was never able to get
the bolt loosened up that way,  I always had to pull the engine and
put on a flywheel lock.  If you're "redoing", you'll have it out
anyway.  Big bolt in the center which I think is 30mm, use a torque
wrench when you retighten.  Outer pully/fan is alloy and has a pin to
orient in on the crank.  Inner sheet steel fan is keyed and has two
tapped holes in the hub.  These can be used for pulling if the thing
is stuck like my first one.  After you get it off once, it seems like
it slides off easier. Don't get too heavy with the prying, you'll just
bend it up. You can use the holes in one orientation  and a couple of
bolts to force the thing off by pushing against the housing, I don't
recomend this for tyros, it's too easy to crack the housing if you
don't know where the solid spots are. The Bentley book shows using a
special tool to align the fan housing concentric with the crank,
you'll have to do that by eyeball if you aren't handy with a lathe.
Other than that, just make sure you get the small bolts back in and
tight, I had one come off once and rattle around in the fan housing,
about drove me nuts until I could get it out.  Now I use Permatex on
the threads to act as sort of insurance to keep things like that from
happening again. Fan housing position has a lot to do with generator
belt tightness, so just be aware of the position of the thing when you
get it back together.  If you're going to pull the oil pump, line up
the puller ahead of time.