RE: What's the Big Secret? (Long, windy, and boring)

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Philip Dillard wrote:

>To some extent, the difference in the prices paid for cars is
>meaningless.

I paid $1100 for my '66 squareback, I've spent about $600 on
it and I would now like to sell it to one of you for...
$1100.  Northeast Texas.

>What it finally comes down to, I suspect, is that each of us wants to
>be regarded as a shrewd bargainer, with each acquisition being the
>envy of all who hear our stories.

A used car deal is always a compromise between a person trying to
commit fraud and a person trying to steal a car.

>Contrarywise, none of us wants to
>be thought of as having paid "too much" by our very astute
>colleagues.

I've seen that happen here in my office.  Two cow orkers have
the same model of Acura.  They bought them new from separate
dealers in the same town.  One paid about $8000 less than the
other, and mentioned it casually to them not expecting it to be
that big a difference.  It was embarrassing for both.

It makes me not want the "new car dealer" experience EVER.

--
g-r-a-t-e-f-u-l-l-y---[   email:<fishbowl@conservatory.com>   ]---l-i-v-i-n-g
d-e-a-d-i-c-a-t-e-d---[     http://www.conservatory.com/      ]-----l-i-g-h-t