Re: UGH!!!!! doing that vin number twist...

> > * Not with a VIN number that starts with a "311".  That would be a
> >1971 and
> > * no other....
> >
> >Hmm.  Check this.  Straight from the list.
>
> >Model designations, Typ 3, all models (US & European - includes UK):
> >
> >Model No. 	Name			Production details
> >
> >311		         VW 1600 TL		August
> >1965-1973, LHD
> >311		         VW 1600 T		  August
> >1968-1973, LHD
> >Do what you will with it!
> >Patrick
>
> And I will do what I will with it!  The key here is that this list refers
> to model numbers, not VIN numbers.  311 being of course a fastback.  And
> now to quote from the book of Muir...

Yes, the old confusion between MODEL numbers and CHASSIS numbers (AKA
VINs.)  I still don't have the model number thing straight even in my
OWN head.  This is one place where I think VW did a bad job: all
their numbers look alike, model #s, VINs, part #s.

Jim