Re: what year is it??

>     well here is the story. i have a notchback that has had its front
> clip and pan replaced some years back. the vin number on the current pan
> is from a 64. the supposedly original vin number from the original pan
> is also from a 63. the person i bought it off of swears it is a 65. to
> make things worse the title has it registered as a 65 but the vin number
> matches a 64. how is that for a mess!! i have heard vw sometimes stamped
> the date on certain parts throughout the car. true or false?? is there
> any way i can determine what year my car is???

The year of your car is determined by its VIN.  I believe there are
only two VINs on the car in your era: stamped on the top of the pan
tunnel under the back seat, and stamped on a silver tag in the
trunk..  If they match there is no question.  If they don't match
most DMVs go with the number on the pan.

I believe it is standard procedure in a case like this to look at
this car and take the point of view that it is an original pan that
has had a few body parts replaced.

In later years the VIN was also put on the dash and inside the
drivers side door jamb.  I don't think there are any other places.

Jim