Re: UGH!!!!! doing that vin number twist...

> * Not with a VIN number that starts with a "311".  That would be a
>1971 and
> * no other....
>
>Hmm.  Check this.  Straight from the list.

>Model designations, Typ 3, all models (US & European - includes UK):
>
>Model No. 	Name			Production details
>
>311		         VW 1600 TL		August
>1965-1973, LHD
>311		         VW 1600 T		  August
>1968-1973, LHD
>Do what you will with it!
>Patrick

And I will do what I will with it!  The key here is that this list refers
to model numbers, not VIN numbers.  311 being of course a fastback.  And
now to quote from the book of Muir...

	"Starting in August ,1964 (1965 models) VW started to use a nine
digit chassis number.  The first three numbersgive information about the
kind of vehicle it is and the year it was made and the last six numbers
are chassis numbers.  At the begining of each model year (August) , the
last six digits start with 000,001.  For example: 316,050,000 means a
Type III, 1 stands for sedan or fastback and the 6 for 1966, the 50,000th
made that year."

Scott Keck
71 Fastback, one tire in grave

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]