71 Fastback Update

Just thought I would let everyone know what I have been up to on my vacation.
I spent a couple of hours with my 71 yesterday.  Got the rear end up on jack
stands to check out the trans, rear brake, and get what's left of the original
exhaust off in preparation for my new Gene Berg single QP.  I had one of those
VW moments that you only dream of when I decided to remove the rear wheels and
drums to check out the brakes.  Both 36mm axle nuts came off without any
trouble.  I mean NO trouble...just a socket and a 1/2inch breaker bar.  No
persuasion with a hammer, no cheater pipe, nothing.  I have never had this
kind of experience with these nuts.  It was unbelievable.  The brakes looked
pretty good, too.  I will probably get new shoes for both sides and have the
drums turned since I have it apart.

I will tackle the exhaust and trans next, then it is on the the front end.

Later,
John (71 Fastback)