Re: HELP!!!!stupid brake lines....

Chad, I've done quite a bit of brake line replacement, having converted
my '66 Mercury Comet (not a type III, sorry Greg!) from drum brakes to
discs, and re-plumbing my friend Forrest's Class 9 off-road racer.  One
thing I would highly suggest is a roller-type tubing bender.  This will
give you more control over the bend, and will not kink the tubing if
used properly.  Another trick I figured out is to cut pieces of stiff
wire, like a coat hanger to the correct length and bend them using the
tubing bender to the right shape.  This gives you a good, disposable,
idea of how you need to make your bends to get everything to line up
properly.  When you go to replace the main line (the one near the gas
pedal), I would try and do the bends on one end first (I'm thinking the
front, because they're more complex), get that end set in place (but not
connected to the M/C) and just work very slowly and cautiously on your
way to the rear of the car.  Try and avoid making "extra" bends, and
resist the temptation to make small adjustments without using the bender
- as you've already seen by your experience.  There is a tee on one of
the frame horns that your transaxle mounts on that splits the line for
the rear brakes.  Any NAPA, or other GOOD parts store should have metric
brake lines available in standard lengths to handle most of the lengths
you will need, or you can order complete brake line kits from many Hot
VW's advertisers, I think I got mine at Barrett Enterprises in Azusa,
Ca.  Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Jake Kooser