Re: fuel filter replacement

If you haven't done a filter change in 6K miles, it's time.  I have
some clamps made by Lisle that are made to clamp off fuel hoses, work
great.  Have seen them at larger Sears stores and chain parts places.
The only thing is that you have to make sure your hoses are fresh or
they'll split right where you clamp them.  Might be time to totally
drain the tank, replace all the hose up front with good stuff and
clean the tank "sock" while you're at it.  Amazing how much scale
accumulates on the tank outlet filter.  I've also used those midget
needlenose Vicegrips in a pinch  If you haven't replaced your hoses at
the rear, might be time to look at those, too.  There's few enough
TIIIs around without losing another to a leaky fuel line.  Last filter
cost me $6.50 at the local chain parts place, was surprised they had
it in stock.  Don't try to use a bug filter, it isn't a pressure thing
that's the limit, but a volume one, the electric pump circulates a lot
more fuel than the bug's mechanical pump.  Just make sure you use FI
rated hose for the portions after the pump, lots more pressure there
than on a bug.  If you haven't been under there, there's supposed to
be a bracket on the fuel pump that holds the filter overhead, mine was
missing, had a hell of a time finding a replacement.  Long cotter key
is underneath holding the bracket in place, haven't found a
replacement for it, yet.  Easiest way is to either put the front up on
jackstands under the axle beam or take off the right front tire(or
both).  Makes a big difference when you can move around under there.