[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]

LOOK OUT! SHE'S GONNA BLOW!!!


   Well gang, you didn't ask for it, but here it is.  The latest on my
friend Wilson's '66 engine.  If you recall, we had stripped it and found
an overzealous thermostat had crushed the #2 intake pushrod tube, and we
were unable to get the fan and flywheel bolts off by hand.  We took it
to a tire shop today and had them remove both the fan and flywheel bolts
with an impact wrench.  Picked up the cooling tin, which we had the
local NAPA hot-tank (cost $30.00 for all of the tin, came back really
nice, but probably not worth it).  Wilson took on the mighty task of
cleaning the flaked paint off the tin and repainting it while I
continued into the engine.  When I took off the #1 & 2 cylinders,
everything looked pretty good, except the ring gaps weren't very well
aligned, and #1 had been blowing past the rings.  On to #3 & 4, when I
pulled the cylinder for #4, I found that the piston pin retainer ring
was no longer with us, but we had a new friend in the form of a 1/8
inch, piston pin-shaped groove in the cylinder wall.  One other thing I
noticed, the edges of the piston pin hole on BOTH sides of the #4 piston
were badly misshapen, one side I can understand, but both sides?  Just
to clarify, I mean the edges of the snap ring grooves looked like they
had been sandblasted round - no square edges like they should have had,
and the edges of the holes were both "not round", for lack of a better
term.  It made me think of some non-contact wear, like erosion.  Freaky,
and pictures are on the way to 'splain that one further.  I pulled #3
with no festivities (or major problems, I mean, that piston-pin trick is
a tough act to follow).
     I started on splitting the case, everything went smoothly there
except the bakelite spacer for the fuel pump broke inside the case.
Once I got the case split, I found that the case had been pounded pretty
badly (I think, opinions?) by the crank, as I could read all the bearing
markings in the case.  BTW, all of the bearings (cam and main) looked
like sh*t, like when aluminum galls - you know that rough texture?
There was a good-sized collection of half-parts in the oil sump, looked
like some washers and some generic metal chunkies.  The lifters are
totally flat, and the cam has rivets holding the gear on.  I wonder,
does this mean it may have never been rebuilt, or is it possible that
the cam was replaced by a factory part?  There was no evidence of
o-rings around the main studs, and there was some liquid (judging by the
overspill) sealant used around the case studs, but there were paper
gaskets under the cylinders - like factory.  How do I "read" this thing?

     I went on to the connecting rods, #1, 3, and 4 bearings show heavy
signs of galling.  You'll notice I didn't mention #2 there.  #2 had
spun, but probably some time ago in my guess/judgement.  Picture if you
can a paper-thin flanged bearing, kind of like a cam bearing except
bigger and thinner, make that really thinner.  I'm guessing that the
noise this thing was making was a combo of the piston pin and the #2 rod
bearing - remember, it WAS STILL RUNNING!  The crankshaft is pretty beat
up, with scratches on the #2 rod and (I'm guessing on the number here)
#4 main - the one nearest the flywheel.
   That's all I have for now, right now I'm getting ready to meet some
local engine builder named Terry - don't know the last name.  Terry
seems to think it's no problem, but I'm trying to keep track of costs
here.  I welcome any opinions on any of the above, and recommendations
for directions to take...

Jake Kooser


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]