Re: What's the Big Secret?

Charles E. Whitney wrote:
> Hello All,
> Now that I started this thread, (snip)
Funny that you mentioned this. I saw an old 1959 Karmann Ghia on a lot
not far from work the other day. Asked as to the price (I mean it was an
auto dealer), it was like some big secret. Finally got hold of the guy
who owned it (lawyer) who asked if I was interested in buying. Mind you,
this is an obviously old, obviously beat KG. Flat black in color,
sitting on all four rims w/ bad tire rot, no trim, no bumpers, no dash,
ripped seats, headliner hanging to the floor, one headlight pushed in
and the other missing all together (get the picture?), AAR, he said I
could have it today for $5000. I said to him that I didn't think it was
worth that much in primo condition, much less the shape it was in, he
said it's a classic. I asked him what made it a classic, he said it's a
'59. I realize that this might make it desirable, but only a desirable
piece of junk at best. He claims that the engine has just been rebuilt
and would fire right up, but after having sat a bit in the old Florida
solar radiation, I doubt that it would be able to be on the street any
time soon. I guess that it's all how you look at it, I paid $200 for my
"classic", about 5X that much in parts and engine and I probably
wouldn't take $5000 for her right now. I guess it's all in how you look
at it.
David Walters
'73 1600 L Notchback (un-registered, and in for a rebuild)
'89 Ford Aerostar (daily driver, and the work horse)
'92 HD Sportster (a toy that I would highly recommend to everyone)