Re: What's the Big Secret?

>When talking with someone about a car they purchased, what is the big
>secret about how much they paid for it?  In the VW rags, purchase
>price is rarely mentioned.

A lot of times the seller doesn't want anyone to know what they
'settled' for.  Or the buyer doesn't want to broadcast how much they
paid.  I've seen people charge someone more for parts based on other
parts/cars that buyer has purchased.  The scum is out there...

>I get the feeling it is rude to ask people and sometimes they don't
>want to say.  I like to know to kind of keep in touch with market
>prices. Maybe people are ashamed they paid so much for a pile of
>rust.

Personally, I tell people if they ask nicely and they are interested
in the vehicle.  I had someone come up to me at a show right after I
purchased my '55 Kombi, no introduction, didn't tell me his name, I'd
never even seen him before and blurt out "How much you pay for that
Kombi?"  I immediately went into smart-ass mode (well, I'm in that
mode 95% of the time :) and said "I paid more than he would have taken
but less than I would have paid."  That confused the hell out of him.

- Everett

'54 Single Cab - $500
'55 Kombi      - A lot