T3: What are these parts, between the cylinder/head and rear engine hanger?

There are two of these things, one for both sides.
Okay, on the rear engine hanger in my type 3, there are these little things
that seem to hang off of the rear engine hanger and are kind of wedged
between the cylinder and head assembly and the rear engine hanger.. They are
shaped like this
			(side profile)
<-rear of car			-----|     front of car ->
                                  hanger|cylinder/head assembly

the dots indicate the side profile of the things...the way it was sitting when
i found it, it was not bolted to anything....it has contours on the front
(front is front of car) which "mold" it into the cylinder/head assembly's
curves.

What do these things do? are they important? I hesitate to put them back on
thinking they might be thermostat doors, with no thermostat ( i live in
florida) which would starve my engine of air.  (i've already put the air
deflectors on, so they aren't those...).