Re: A little bit of a backfire

On 28 Feb 98 at 1:18, Soap Duck wrote:

> Since I have got my carb put on it has been doing a little bit of backfiring.
> I know not why.  However, I do know that there are no vacuum leaks.  Could it
> perhaps be the wrong amount of Fuel/air mixture?  Would bigger jets on the
> carb solve this?  If it helps I think I have a few exhast leaks.

Backfire usually occurs under deceleration and is caused by the
under-rich mixture which usually fails to burn in the combustion
chamber being passed on into the exhaust where the gas condenses out
and waits for a source of ignition (a bit of hot carbon, or expelled
hot gasses from a combustion cycle that fired.)

There is not a lot you can do for this unless it is happening in
normal operation (not under deceleration.)  If it is happening under
acceleration or cruising, then your mixture is wrong, usually too
lean.

If it is happening under deceleration then the best you can do is
make sure your throttle valve is closing completely when you let up
on the pedal.

There is no truth to the common belief that exhaust leaks can cause
backfireing since it is clear that the positive pressure in the
exhaust means that any leak will be from the inside out rather than
the other way around.

True backfires, meaning firing backwards through the intake manifold,
are rare, and are usually the result of grossly misadjusted valve
timing or burned intake valves, neither of which happens in air
cooled VWs..

Jim