T3: Re: AT rattles

Hello everyone,

I'm back, tired and jet lagged, and under more than the usual
confusion after signing onto the "new and improved" list server and
wondering where all the traffic had gone.  Poor Greg, The best laid
plans....

On 25 Feb 98 at 22:39, Greg Merritt wrote:

> 	When stopped in gear in my automatic '69, the whole car shakes &
> resonates pretty substantially.  The car is quite tight overall, but it
> really gets to vibrating; the pop-outs, when open, will shake quite
> noticeably.  If I lightly touch the gas with the brakes on, things
> apparently go off resonance & it's nice & quiet & still.  However, the idle
> is on the high side of normal to begin with (so I don't want to increase
> it) and I have the impression that decreasing the idle speed would make the
> shaking worse.
>
> 	Any thoughts?  This is my first auto tranny T3, so I don't know if
> this is typical.

Greg,

I'm not sure, but I think this may be somewhat typical of the early
AT cars (basically 68-9, although I've never seen a 68.)  My 69 is
the same way and I have not been able to cure it completely.

There are a few things you should try.  I would check out exactly
what effect lowering the idle has, you might be surprised, plus you
should check to make sure that the AT has the right vacuum modulator
installed and that it is properly adjusted.  These are covered nicely
in the Bentley manual.  You can try fiddling with the adjustment and
seeing what effect it has on the AT shift points and creep at idle.
Basically what you want it to do is completely disengage at idle, but
not by so much that the engine first races then grabs, causing the
car to lurch when you give it gas from a stop.

You should also check to make sure that all the rubber shock donuts
that are parts of the mounting of the rear subframe to the body are
actually THERE!  Several of mine were broken or missing, but I can't
remember that fixing that actually made any difference.

Jim