dashpad speaker grille

Hi all,

	What's the deal with the plastic speaker grille on the vinyl dash
pad?  Both my '69 & '71 only have holes, no plastic grilles.  (The '71 is
original for sure, as it's got the VIN tag on it.)  I seem to recall
seeing other '71-down pads that did include the plastic grille.  Were the
two styles used interchangeably for a time, or did they only start using
the plastic cover in '72?

-Greg
'69 & '71 Squarebacks
'63 Beetle