Re: pass. side door mirror

It almost sounds like a huge pop rivet.  Never been up close to the
passenger side of a '66, but if you don't find a bolt or nut on the other
side, or can't even get to the other side as I surmise, you will probably
have to drill the center out.  If it is a rivet, it will just fall out
after this procedure.  If it falls out, behind the plug, the factory should
have welded in a threaded bolt for mirror attachement.  Your mirror should
screw right in.  Also, when putting in a mirror, try not to go paint to
metal.  Go the plumbing area of your local hardware store and buy a rubber
O-ring to slip over the threads of your mirror.  It'll save your paint.
Once again as I have no experience with type3's this early, this all just
guess work, so tread lightly on conjecture.