	From:  stans4@ibm.net[SMTP:stans4@ibm.net]
	Sent:  Sunday, February 22, 1998 1:09 AM
	To:  Matt
	Cc:  type-3@umich.edu
	Subject:  Re: Floor & Vent RUST?

	On your rust problem , how about putting a shopvac on the
opening
	under the seat, then using high-pressure air to blow the crud
back
	down the line?  I blew mine out when I had the rocker panels
open,
	fixing rust holes in the heater channels, an air blow gun worked
	wonders.  I followed that up with some rust converter stuff to
	discourage further rust.  I didn't have a welder then, used
fiberglas
	gel and glass cloth to patch, has worked well..

	What you really want for under your carpet is stuff called
tar-board
	or sound-deadening paneling.  Can be gotten from body shop
suppliers
	or I think Whitney or Rocky Mountain Motor Works has it.  Would
have
	better sound dampening properties than ordinary felt, probably
would
	wear better, too.  Rust converter first, then use mastic to
stick it
	down with.  Works inside the doors, too.

	On Sat, 21 Feb 1998 15:38:27 -0500, you wrote:

	>I'm in the process of pulling the carpet and padding from a '71
	>Squareback.  After cleaning up the rust, I plan to coat the
floor with
	>heavy, brush-on undercoating tar.  Home Depot sells a heavy
fabric (about
	>1/2" thick) used for household padding/insulation.  I think it
may work
	>well under the carpet (the current stuff is rotted.).  Any
thoughts if
	>this plan would work?
	>
	>Floor heat channel rust!  The heat channels (below doors) are
filled with
	>rust and scale.  How can I clean these out really well and stop
the rust
	>before they collaspe?  I'm not planning a total gutting /
restoration.
	>Overall, my Square is in pretty solid shape.
	>
	>Thanks in advance for help.
	>
	>Matt
	>matt@usoar.net
	>
	>ps.  Still looking for trunk and doors frame seals at a
reasonable cost.