Re: upright engines in a type3

The big differences between a type 3 (pancake) and a typeI/II upright motor
are dipstick placement (easy to remedy on a universal case), engine tin,
fan and the oil cooling apparati (maybe I missed some small stuff).  The
point is that type 1-3 motors are essentially the same as far as mounting
points go.  I have never attempted to see if the tin from a type 1 would
fit on a type3, but my guess is that it would. This idea does concern me
though, as these tins were never designed to cool a motor in the confines
of a type3 engine bay.  The engine tin and fan shroud flaps in a type3 have
all been optimized to cool your motor utilizing those little air fins on
the side of your car.  They funnel air into the fan and do a damn fine job
of keeping your air cooled car breathing.  I guess you could go to a
doghouse type oil cooler and retain your type 3 tin and fan, but figuring
out how to mate a type1 generator/alternator to a type 3 fan (belt length
and alignment) seems like too much effort.  It just seems that all this
trouble would end up in a lot of extra expense and lost space for no gain
in  performance or convenience.  My question to you is:  Why would you give
up your rear trunk when all of the parts to build a great performing,
reliable, type3 motor are all available in ready quantities? Stay free,
stay type3, baby!

Kenik Hassel

> From: Splattman@aol.com
> To: type-3@umich.edu
> Subject: upright engines in a type3
> Date: Sunday, February 22, 1998 5:26 PM
>
> I was reading the new Vw trends and noticed a very nice looking Notchback
that
> was made into a convertible.  But I couldn't help notice that there was
an
> upright engine in the Notch.  Is this possible?  Would it be a good idea?
 I'm