Re[2]: Performance Engine

Contact several professional engine builders, tell 'em what you want and make
sure you have at least several thousand dollars.  My engine cost me roughly
$5000 (including shipping and some labor with mechanic at home, excluding
external parts like carbs and cooling tin).  More than likely you will need a FI
turbo engine.  Possibly even nitrous.  Or an American V-8.

But really, for what you want you're gonna need a lot of cash.  I had to get a
bank loan for my engine and tranny since I don't get paid THAT well.  Speaking
of which, you will also need to have your tranny beefed up as well to transfer
all that power from the engine to the ground without it exploding.  You had
better step up to a better clutch, like a Kennedy 1700lbs or more.

Oh yeah, you'll need to stop better as well, so make sure your braking system is
100% functional.  You may want to install slightly stiffer shocks and/or torsion
bars to help keep fore/aft body sway within controllable limits.  A good set of
sticky (expensive) tires will help launch you off the line.

All of this works for a simple strip car like what you want but it's not gonna
help you if you plan on making your car a [real] one that can handle corners and
true road conditions (My opinion: Any 16 year-old kid with a driver's permit can
stomp the pedal and drive fast and straight but, for me, a truly skilled driver
is one who knows how to handle a car in the curves).  For this you will need to
have a stiffer suspension, lower the center of gravity (body lowering, smaller
tires), use shorter, stickier tires (as opposed to stock tires that have a long
wear life), and install a bigger anti-sway bar up front (the stock stabilizer
just doesn't cut it; I have a bar in back as well but I've heard it may not be
recommended).

And check local emission laws to make sure that your new engine will be legal!

    Toby Erkson
    air_cooled_nut@pobox.com  <-- Please use this address for email responses
    '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
    '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member